P e r s o n a l B l o g/T w i t t e r . : : . W r i t i n g B l o g/T w i t t e r

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore and David Lloyd


I will admit here and now that I am so very biased on this book.  I really, really, really am.  If you didn't like the movie, if you aren't an idealist, you probably won't agree with me and I'm okay with that.  Really, I'm okay with disagreeing - just do me a favor and don't rant about how much you hated it for some such reason.

First - I have not read a comic much less a graphic novel in a very, very long time.  The first 50-80 pages were a struggle because I was getting far too distracted with the pictures, the detail, and most certainly getting confused.  Then I hit a roll with it yesterday and read the rest of the book all at once it seems.

I really like how Alan Moore does the setting; I've heard and understand Watchmen is similar in that regard.  I just find the whole alternate setting fascinating, how it's conveyed and made real.  I do wish he'd said more about the rest of the world - but maybe I missed some of the more subtle details on that account by plowing through it like I am known to do.  I really liked how the portrayed The Shadow Gallery, a maze of rooms and places, each with a distinct purpose that resonated with the government and yet was his own.

The characters to me were difficult to keep track of - but I blame that on me and not the writing.  I liked V in the book as much as I liked him in the movie.  I liked Eve moreso.  He really conveys deep charicters very well and I thought I had a good idea of how each of them were different, who they were and their motivations.  After those first 50 pages I steadily figured them all out easier, except for a few pages where I had to flip around to remember exactly who whats-his-face was.

The plot - I still adore it, even more in the book. I thought the movie was sort of abrupt, how yes the government was gone - but what now? I like how the book gives a continuing idea of it's not just one man, one event, one house-cleaning, it's a steady, persistent process.  The story was riveting and had me really going.

If you like the movie - read the book. You'll probably like them both better after wards.

1 thoughts:

Dallas said...

yay for V! :) One of my favorite. The book watchmen was good too. better than the movie i believe

About Me

My photo
Grew up traveling to rodeos with my parents. I've gone across the world thanks to my gypsie feet. I feel sometimes like I've done everything & nothing. I've played roller derby, traveled parts of the world, have four degrees. I've done some things most people will never do in their lives & still I want to do more. I want to work with orphans & teenagers again. I'm a Christian. I have a lot of tattoos. I like art therefore I want to be art. I love people. I started writing years ago when I was a kid. I think at the time it was an outlet for me; I found escape in my word & the worlds I created. Eventually I just started to like creating stuff & that's when I started sharing it with other people. Now I think I write every day. I want to do NaNoWrMo this year. I'm also learning how to knit. I think I'm on my way to being an eccentric old woman who runs around the world doing silly cazy things and knitting while she does them. Be on your guard I have knitting needles!

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
our newest book liststhe best book lists can be found
at Flashlight Worthy Books
add this widget to your blog
1000words_150w

My Blog List