P e r s o n a l B l o g/T w i t t e r . : : . W r i t i n g B l o g/T w i t t e r

Cattleman's Casserole

So I didn't really think to share this one but I was hungry for lunch today and didn't really have anything left as far as the veggies I'd eaten with this hamburger and decided to do this dish and figured I might as well share it.  True - it doesn't really look very appealing, but it tastes good - at least to me!  I first made this probably when I was in jr high or high school and it's just been a good staple item since then.  A list of ingredients is at the bottom.


I took some ground beef I had left over; normally I use a whole role or half role of ground beef if I'm making it for myself.  I like to make it for weekends as a one dish serve all for lunch and dinner to last me till Monday.  Brown meat in a frying pan as normal; I like to add just enough BBQ sauce at this point to just lightly coat everything.  This gets the flavor into the meat better and keeps it more moist longer.  I like to add Garlic Powder and Onion Powder, personally, in addition to salt and pepper.

Once the meat is underway, start in on the rice and blackeyed peas.  Follow normal instructions for the rice; I normally cook two cups of rice to mix in with the beans and meat but you can add more or less as you desire.  I usually cut the amount of butter down to a single teaspoon, personally.  I like to drain the blackeyed peas before cooking and after.  I usually get a can of plain, simple peas - no ham or jalapeno style for me!


Now it's a waiting game.  When the meat is browned, the rice is fluffed and the beans have been warmed up I try to get as much liquid or grease off of all the ingredients as possible.  I strain the beans and wash them in hot water, and pour the grease into my old pea can to trash later.  In a large, pyrex glass bowl I combine the rice, beans and meat, give a few good stirs and then pour on the rest of the BBQ sauce.  I like a lot of sauce, others don't so there's no real rule as far as how much to add.

And that's it - Cattleman's Casserole!  It's not much to look at - but it's filling and good.  :)


Ingredients
  • Ground Beef
  • Instant Rice
  • Blackeyed Peas
  • Butter
  • Salt & Pepper
  • BBQ Sauce
  • Garlic Powder (optional)
  • Onion Powder (optional)
Utensils
  • Skillet
  • Two Small to Medium Pans
  • Strainer
  • Three Mixing Spoons

0 thoughts:

About Me

My photo
Grew up traveling to rodeos with my parents. I've gone across the world thanks to my gypsie feet. I feel sometimes like I've done everything & nothing. I've played roller derby, traveled parts of the world, have four degrees. I've done some things most people will never do in their lives & still I want to do more. I want to work with orphans & teenagers again. I'm a Christian. I have a lot of tattoos. I like art therefore I want to be art. I love people. I started writing years ago when I was a kid. I think at the time it was an outlet for me; I found escape in my word & the worlds I created. Eventually I just started to like creating stuff & that's when I started sharing it with other people. Now I think I write every day. I want to do NaNoWrMo this year. I'm also learning how to knit. I think I'm on my way to being an eccentric old woman who runs around the world doing silly cazy things and knitting while she does them. Be on your guard I have knitting needles!

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
our newest book liststhe best book lists can be found
at Flashlight Worthy Books
add this widget to your blog
1000words_150w

My Blog List