P e r s o n a l B l o g/T w i t t e r . : : . W r i t i n g B l o g/T w i t t e r

The Dinner Party

When I graduated college in December of 2007, the recession was that thing in the corner we pretended we hadn't invited to the dinner party.  Of course a few intelligent people, we'll call these the Smart Industries.  Unfortunately for people like myself who started school back in 2003 and had taken an extra year to get another degree - I was just in time for all my potential career paths to wither and die right in front of me.

Depressing, isn't it?

Well, I've done alright so far.  I'm working a day job that's at least enjoyable.  I like the hours and the people.  I don't always understand it all, but what can I do?  Well, I can learn.  Which I do and supposedly quickly.  And I can also try new things.  It's not where I saw myself when I graduated high school.  I thought I'd be changing the world all on my own and doing exciting things.

And then real life happens.

I'm not anywhere I thought I would be.  These last few weeks have been very depressing; can't lie about that.  I don't see it getting immediately better.  I'm holding out hope that things will improve, but only time will tell.  I'm beginning to be a bit more proactive in thinking of ways to improve things, like should I make a career switch?  Should I do something else?  It's hard and depressing trying to figure out life right now.  I read this article on PayScale about being ready for the recession with a back-up career plan.  I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't get a second job.  If I didn't have debt hanging over my head it might free me up to take some more chances.  I don't know.  I'm sort of at a low point here and I will need to figure something out by the end of April because I think that's all the grace my parents have for me.

Strange as it is, they're very concerned - interested? Whatever.  They're taking a lot of interest in my career right now, which is new and rather unexpected.  My parents have had a rather hands off approach to my life, only stepping in when I really needed help or something was really wrong.  This has probably been their way of letting me grow up all along.  Maybe I don't realize how close to crashing and burning I really am.  Ug.  I probably need to stop thinking about this and go clean - and then write or watch a movie.  That would be far more productive!!!

2 thoughts:

Joan Myssenden said...

Yeah, I totally understand about not ending up where you thought you would be. I'm not even where I thought I would be three years ago, let alone when we graduated. It will be interesting to see where everyone ends up, won't it?

Sorry I haven't been too communicative this last week. Work has been more irritating than I remember it being, and I've pretty much given up on getting a year-round gig here.

Cid said...

Ya know, it really will be interesting to see what happens. I know right now I'm incredibly frusterated with stuff in general, but in time it will get better. Or at least that's what the Positivity side of me says!

And seriously don't feel bad about the communicating. With how many wrenches the world has thrown into my gears this last month people are lucky if I answer text messages, let alone phone calls and emails, LoL.

This too shall pass!

About Me

My photo
Grew up traveling to rodeos with my parents. I've gone across the world thanks to my gypsie feet. I feel sometimes like I've done everything & nothing. I've played roller derby, traveled parts of the world, have four degrees. I've done some things most people will never do in their lives & still I want to do more. I want to work with orphans & teenagers again. I'm a Christian. I have a lot of tattoos. I like art therefore I want to be art. I love people. I started writing years ago when I was a kid. I think at the time it was an outlet for me; I found escape in my word & the worlds I created. Eventually I just started to like creating stuff & that's when I started sharing it with other people. Now I think I write every day. I want to do NaNoWrMo this year. I'm also learning how to knit. I think I'm on my way to being an eccentric old woman who runs around the world doing silly cazy things and knitting while she does them. Be on your guard I have knitting needles!

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
our newest book liststhe best book lists can be found
at Flashlight Worthy Books
add this widget to your blog
1000words_150w

My Blog List