P e r s o n a l B l o g/T w i t t e r . : : . W r i t i n g B l o g/T w i t t e r

Girl Talk Thursday: Favorite Children’s Books



As a kid I didn't get as much of an opportunity to read as other kids.  What I do remember vividly reading when I was a kid was a graphic novel/bound comic book of Scheherazade and the 101 Nights.  It came with a tape and I swear I listened/read that thing over and over and over again sitting on the bed in the motor home as a kid.  I got $.50 comics at truck stops and read those, but mostly I wrote my own stuff.  Occasionally I would come across a book or someone would give me one they didn't want anymore but these were few and far between.  When I mean I wrote my own stories as a kid, I mean I did it out of sheer boredom.  I do recall that the first chapter book I read was about a pig, though other than that I'm not altogether certain.

When we stopped traveling and I could read actual books, I read anything and everything horse related.  I recall having a very deep need to identify with my parents livelihoods, horses, and if I was obsessed with horses then it was a connection to them.  I read all of the Black Stallion books, Brumby books, Black Beauty, anything that featured people and horses, though I wasn't always keen on westerns.

I honestly can't recall ever reading that many children's books that were kid-geared, probably because it was a fruitless endeavor to keep me in books since we traveled so much.  I don't have a reason to read kid's books now, the closest I get are some middle grade and YA books - like the Percy Jackson books.

Yup, probably not all that enlightening this time.

2 thoughts:

Brittany @deep_n_thought said...

On a certain level I can really relate.
My dad is a truck driver, and during the summer I was "Wacky Camper"...my lame cb handle haha...and my mom would always tell my dad "make sure she reads her books". My dad had other ideas. I could have rivaled any comic collectors collection from all the comics he got me from truck stops lol ^_^.

Chibi said...

I read my fair share of Black Beauty books, too! Unfortunately, I'm not as well-versed in comics. ;)

About Me

My photo
Grew up traveling to rodeos with my parents. I've gone across the world thanks to my gypsie feet. I feel sometimes like I've done everything & nothing. I've played roller derby, traveled parts of the world, have four degrees. I've done some things most people will never do in their lives & still I want to do more. I want to work with orphans & teenagers again. I'm a Christian. I have a lot of tattoos. I like art therefore I want to be art. I love people. I started writing years ago when I was a kid. I think at the time it was an outlet for me; I found escape in my word & the worlds I created. Eventually I just started to like creating stuff & that's when I started sharing it with other people. Now I think I write every day. I want to do NaNoWrMo this year. I'm also learning how to knit. I think I'm on my way to being an eccentric old woman who runs around the world doing silly cazy things and knitting while she does them. Be on your guard I have knitting needles!

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
our newest book liststhe best book lists can be found
at Flashlight Worthy Books
add this widget to your blog
1000words_150w

My Blog List