P e r s o n a l B l o g/T w i t t e r . : : . W r i t i n g B l o g/T w i t t e r

I don't like to be insulted.

As someone on Facebook said, this is like my cocktail party blog, and today I want to do a little venting and a little lecturing.  I've had an interesting two or three weeks.  This blog post isn't the response to any one instance, but many in several different situations with more than one group of people.  So if you're reading this and you think I'm talking about you - I'm probably not, but your conscience is probably trying to tell you something.

Growing up, manners were imparted to me through many different avenues of experience, but none more so than my personal code of consideration.  My parents taught me to be polite, say yes ma'am and no sir, get your guests a drink and never ever touch a man's hat without permission.  My horses taught me to respect personal space because not everyone wants to be touched all the time.  My friends taught me to share like I wanted them to share with me.  And somewhere along the way my Code of Consideration was born.  I realized somewhere in life that I liked when people were considerate of my feelings, wants and desires and that I should do the same in return.

However, it seems like more and more people don't even attempt to be polite.  I know I'm a colorful individual, by just being myself I spark controversy with my hair, or my jewelry, or my lifestyle, or my beliefs.  I accept this.  I've posted before that I just can't be any other way than the way I am.  I tried to be something else for a long time in life and failed. 

I like who I am, and I'm offended when people think I should change something about myself because they think it should be so.  Are there aspects of myself that could be changed for the better?  Sure, but that doesn't mean you have to point out the fact that I am technically overweight by medical definition according to my BMI.  Before you do that, would you stop to consider that I once had a very serious eating disorder?

Sometimes I'm just appalled at the things people will say to one another.  I believe in being honest with my friends about things, even when I know it will hurt their feelings, but I never say those things because I want to hurt them.  I say those things because I see a behavior or a problem that will hurt them.  I say the tough things because I love them and I want to help them.  If I think what I want to say will only hurt and will not help, I keep it to myself.

So before you unleash your opinions about another person, maybe you should stop and ask yourself if I were to say those things to you, would you want to hear them?

Thumper probably said it best when he said, "If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all."

0 thoughts:

About Me

My photo
Grew up traveling to rodeos with my parents. I've gone across the world thanks to my gypsie feet. I feel sometimes like I've done everything & nothing. I've played roller derby, traveled parts of the world, have four degrees. I've done some things most people will never do in their lives & still I want to do more. I want to work with orphans & teenagers again. I'm a Christian. I have a lot of tattoos. I like art therefore I want to be art. I love people. I started writing years ago when I was a kid. I think at the time it was an outlet for me; I found escape in my word & the worlds I created. Eventually I just started to like creating stuff & that's when I started sharing it with other people. Now I think I write every day. I want to do NaNoWrMo this year. I'm also learning how to knit. I think I'm on my way to being an eccentric old woman who runs around the world doing silly cazy things and knitting while she does them. Be on your guard I have knitting needles!

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
our newest book liststhe best book lists can be found
at Flashlight Worthy Books
add this widget to your blog
1000words_150w

My Blog List