P e r s o n a l B l o g/T w i t t e r . : : . W r i t i n g B l o g/T w i t t e r

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Okay, so I have a soft spot for quirky retelling of fairy tales and Gail Carson Levine does some serious magic with stories and words.  I read Ella Enchanted in high school.  It had probably been out for a handful of years by then, but was prior to the movie.  I read it and have fondly recalled it as having been a very good book.

You know the characters, somewhat, though Levine's are full of life and quirks that have you laughing or cheering.  I really do like how the other races are brought in and given their own personalities and roles, and how you see Ella's character through how she interacts with them.

The setting is fantastical! It's a fairy tale land, of course, and I wish I could go there someday.

I really appreciate the plot.  Most of the conflict Ella faces is internal, not external.  Now for the movie there had to be a huge external danger, but what I really appreciate about this book is that we see the implications and severity of internal struggle more.  The book is more about what Ella fears might happen because of her curse as opposed to what is happening around her.

I think after I read the McKinley books this year I will start collecting Levine's.  And I wish I could have found a copy with this cover; it's so cute! I have the one of the girl in the green dress sitting at a desk.

1 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Yay Cid your right on! i luved the story and hope everybody elese did 2

About Me

My photo
Grew up traveling to rodeos with my parents. I've gone across the world thanks to my gypsie feet. I feel sometimes like I've done everything & nothing. I've played roller derby, traveled parts of the world, have four degrees. I've done some things most people will never do in their lives & still I want to do more. I want to work with orphans & teenagers again. I'm a Christian. I have a lot of tattoos. I like art therefore I want to be art. I love people. I started writing years ago when I was a kid. I think at the time it was an outlet for me; I found escape in my word & the worlds I created. Eventually I just started to like creating stuff & that's when I started sharing it with other people. Now I think I write every day. I want to do NaNoWrMo this year. I'm also learning how to knit. I think I'm on my way to being an eccentric old woman who runs around the world doing silly cazy things and knitting while she does them. Be on your guard I have knitting needles!

Flashlight Worthy Book Lists

Flashlight Worthy Books
our newest book liststhe best book lists can be found
at Flashlight Worthy Books
add this widget to your blog
1000words_150w

My Blog List